There are so many misconceptions about vegetarians among peoples from different profession, different religions and education level. Somebody thinks vegetarians are weak and sickly. Energy and strength are the things that only meat foods can provide. Also, we have another miss-impression that athletes who are vegetarian perform less in the sport.
But scientist found this theory is wrong. See how these 12 vegetarians athletes prove the theory wrong and they are thriving in their field with domination.
I am a professional basketball player. I have got the benefits of vegetarian diets which improved my health, energy and skill. Vegetarian food helped me dropped my weight down to 160 pounds fruitfully in last 6 months from 250 pounds.
Want to be vegetarian Athlete? Here are the quick tips:
- Cancer Prevention
- Fight Heart Disease
- Control Hypertension
- Prevention and Reversal of Diabetes
Types of vegetarian diet
When we are talking about vegetarian diet we must know must know that we we’re always referring to a diet based on vegetables only, as there are different types of vegetarianisms, which include eggs and milk called ovo-lacto vegetarians, or include or egg or milk. In addition there are strict vegetarians or vegans who eat only plant-based foods and there are called CRUDIVOROS. That means they never eat any animal foods.
Tips to promote health on a vegetarian diet:
To obtain the best outcome from vegetarian you must be careful choosing your meal plans. If you want to fully depend on plant based foods there is possibilities of nutritional deficiencies. So doing this you want to make sure you eat a varied diet, not only cereals and starches. If you don’t include fruits, legumes and other foods your health will be in risk.
To promote health taking a vegetarian diet, I’d give the following advice:
- Consume a daily handful of nuts to get fats, antioxidants, and good amount of vitamins and minerals.
- It includes seeds in your diet, because they can offer huge amounts of calcium, for example poppy seeds, sesame, flax or another.
- In addition, vitamin D is widely found in dairy and fish that are not included in the vegetarian diet.
- Combine vegetables and cereals in the same recipe in order to achieve a complete protein, eg rice cereal, hamburgers batter of lentils, beans and oats dumplings or other combination and these two food groups.
- Includes algae to your diet for vitamin B12, it can be used or fresh alga powder to make your dishes algae.
- Combine green leafy vegetables or legumes rich in iron with a source of vitamin C to promote absorption of the mineral. For example, lentils with lemon juice and pepper, spinach served with orange juice.
- Use products fortified with iron or vitamin nutrient enriching your diet, for example flour, tofu, soy or other juices.
- Include fruits and vegetables and use olive oil for more antioxidants and healthy nutrients.
Vegetarian Menus for Athletes
1) Salmorejo, stewed lentils, two pieces of fruit
2) Multicolor salad, borage with potato, carrot and onion
3) Salad, chickpeas and cabbage
4) Eggplant with tofunesa (mayonnaise with tofu instead of eggs), fruit.
5) Lentil salad with rice, tomatoes … and cake with coffee
6) raw vegan: Zucchini cut into spaghetti with basil, tomatoes, pine nuts or cashews, turmeric, pepper, seeds several, olive oil and garlic
7) Basic salad with mixed seeds (vegetable omega) and tofu
8) Enasalada cooked tomato and soybean as lentils.
9) Quinoa with beans and soy yogurt
10) Lentil stew with rice dumplings
11) Pasta salad and gazpacho
12) Mixed salad, vegetable paella three Paraguayans.
13) Sautéed zucchini, onion, and one wakame Alguita, seitan and tomato Mauricio. Served with quinoa (or pasta or rice or alone) and some basil chilly.
14) Mushrooms with parsley and lemon and gazpacho.
15) Bean salad with peppers, onions, tomatoes and cashews, mushrooms with corn and fruit.
16) Couscous with broccoli.
17) Chickpea salad pot with everything.
I start with this 4000 cal.
1) Cereal with soy milk, toast with tomato
2) Kefir with crispy bran
3) Coffee and toast with tahini and tomato
4) Toasts with hummus and toasted with tomato and seeds
5) Coffee, roasted with olive oil, some apricots and a glass of soy milk with cinnamon and lemon
6) Raw vegan: vegetable milk shake banana / mango, spirulina, maca, cardamom, and cinnamon or carob
7) Coffee with soy milk, fiber and oat flakes, roasted tahini more
8) Cereal with soy milk, coffee and kiwi.
9) Natural orange juice, coffee and biscuits
10) Almond milk, 2 tablespoons pea protein powder and some sweetener to taste.
11) Rice milk with chocolate milk and toast with oil.
12) Soy with whole grains and a nectarine
Whisked with 1 banana, 1 cup (240 ml.) Of soy milk (enriched) and 1 tablespoon of molasses.
1 bowl of whole-wheat pasta with fried tofu, vegetables and cashews.
1) Trigueros grilled, toasted hummus, Paraguay.
2) Salad and Grilled Eggplant
3) Ensalda varied and fruit.
4) Gazpacho, fruit and veggie burger
5) Eggplants fried with sausage and tofu kartoffelsalat
6) raw vegan: couscous (without couscous) by cutting all chiquitito: cauliflower, carrots, peppers, dates, walnuts, endive, dehydrated manazana, curry, salt and Acite
7) salad and Crêpe végétarienne + coffee.
8) Trampó (a salad of tomato, green pepper, scallion, in the dressing is put PAPRIKA)
9) Coca (slice of bread) with mushrooms, eggplant and onions.
10) Fruits and nuts preferably raw almonds and walnuts.
3 common Myths You Need to Avoid:
- Plant proteins are not complete. FALSE
Soybeans, quinoa or amaranth have all the essential aminácidos that our body needs to carry out the string of functions already enumerated in this other article. In addition, equal weight meat, soy is bringing us more protein (100g 36g soy protein we would provide 100g beef while only 20g)
While the rest of plant proteins do not have all essential amino acids, there is nothing that cannot be resolved knowing how we combine them to get a protein of high biological value:
- A vegetarian diet is incompatible in gaining muscle. FALSE
What really influences the growth of muscle? Training and good recovery. Obviously, no pain no gain, high intensity training is intrinsically linked to the growth of muscle mass. A nutritional level, higher energy consumption and a diet with enough carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals are required to promote muscle.
- It is impossible to consume enough calories. FALSE
Athletes have some increased energy requirements. This leads to the need to consume calorie diets with a density of 3000, 3500, 4000 or even more to cope with the intensity and duration of your workouts. Vegetarianism is not necessarily associated with a reduced calorie diet.
Scientific evidence determines that vegetarian diets not only poses a danger but also can bring benefits to health and disease prevention.
From a health point of view, considering food choice whether it omnivore, vegan, ovolacto-vegetariana or ovo-vegetariana, patience is required to improve health. However, it will be our responsibility to carry out the appropriate advice for whatever your choice is complete, balanced and meets your needs to allow you to achieve optimal health.