This week I felt like some pasta. I was a little tired of the dishes I was making, and took to the internet to find some inspiration for new recipes. I wanted to keep it simple, and of course, I needed it to last through the week. This is when I found a simple vegan pasta recipe with eggplant and mushrooms!
I browned the eggplant first and set aside with some sea salt. Then I started on the mushrooms. I then combined both in the same pan.
I let the noodles cook a little bit until the water started to boil, and then I covered and simmered until the noodles were soft. It was about 7 mins. I left it on a bit too long, and my noodles were mushy. I added some parsley.
I added all the ingredients and then put them in my containers for the week! I got the inspiration from here.
- 12 ounces dry pasta*
- ½ small eggplant, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups organic vegan marinara sauce
- 2 cup water
- 2 tsp sea salt + more for eggplant
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Optional: Fresh parsley
- Rinse and dice eggplant into cubes. Place in a colander in the sink and season generously with salt. Wait 20-30 minutes, then rinse and pat thoroughly dry with a towel. Set to the side.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 2-3 Tbsp olive oil, the eggplant and 1 clove of minced garlic. Season with ½ tsp sea salt and stir. Sautee for 3-5 minutes or until a golden brown color is achieved, then add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes more or until all of the veggies have color. Set aside and cover – you will top the pasta with it.
- To the same saucepan, add the pasta, water, marinara sauce, the remaining cloves of garlic. 4.Start with 1.5 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp black pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer until the pasta is cooked to al dente – about 7 minutes
- Once cooked, stir and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Remove from heat and top with eggplant-mushroom mixture and more fresh parsley.